The Town of Clayton is the fastest growing town in Johnston County. The Planning Department is the front door for all of that growth and development activity. What we do is really about quality of life. We've got it here in Clayton and plan to keep it. From major developments to working with your home improvement contractor, we're helping Clayton plan for the future.
We're the department helping shape the future of the Town of Clayton. We perform several functions for the community. Here are some of the more prominent functions of our department:
- Facilitating the community vision through plans, policies and programs
- Encouraging new and expanded investment in the Town
- Administering and enforcing development related codes and ordinances
- Reviewing proposed development plans
- Fostering exemplary design
- Improving the environment
- Planning for the physical needs of the community
- Supporting Town activities relating to mapping and geographic data
- Coordinating planning efforts with local, regional and state-wide agencies
The Planning Department serves a broad range of constituents, including the citizens of the Town of Clayton and its Extraterritorial Jurisdiction (ETJ), community organizations, elected and appointed policymakers, builders, architects, property owners, tenants, and advocacy groups. All rely on the Town’s adopted Comprehensive Plan 2045 and the Unified Development Code to achieve the Town’s development goals.
- Conrad Olmedo, AICP, Planning Director
- Dede Bumgarner, CZO, Development Services Manager
- Steven Mott, Planner II
- Bruce Venable, Planner I
- Lori Bryant, MPA, Development Services Coordinator
- Elizabeth Worner, Development Services Coordinator
Cindy Batten, Permit Specialist
The Administration Division provides support and resources to realize departmental goals. This division includes:
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Legislative Affairs
Planning & Zoning
The Planning and Zoning Division develops policy, maintains and oversees compliance with the Town's Comprehensive Plan, prepares and implements community plans, and acts as the urban design resource for the Town. The division is also responsible for reviewing project applications, zoning permits and subdivision review.
Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
The Planning Department is also in charge of maintaining the Town's land use database, gathering and analyzing data and producing Town maps in support of land-use policy.
The Code Enforcement Division promotes compliance with the Town Code of Ordinances and helps the public to understand the enforcement issues. Code enforcement also initiates enforcement actions to remedy Code violations. The division investigates and resolves complaints about Code violations.
The Planning Department's principal activities are:
- Developing and maintaining the Town's Comprehensive Plan 2045
- Formulating planning controls, standards and guidelines that ensure the highest quality development
- Analyzing development proposals for their environmental effects and developing implementation and monitoring measures to reduce impacts
- Reviewing development proposals to ensure compliance with the Comprehensive Plan 2045, the Unified Development Code, and the General Design Guidelines
- Engaging the public to inform, consult, or seek input on plans and projects and to involve the public in an ongoing dialog about the future of the Town
- Serving as a data analysis and information center to gather, analyze, interpret and disseminate data in support of land-use policy analysis
- Enhancing community safety and appearance through the enforcement of the Unified Development Code
- Coordinating with sister agencies on application of plans and policies and fulfillment of community planning efforts as needed